Digitization is the greatest disruption of our times. Together with sustainability, it will will shape the future of textile industry. Their impact needs to be carefully understood to develop strategies and take advantage of opportunities.
Digitization and automation of businesses, especially manufacturing processes, has gained momentum in recent times. This article aims to highlight the impact of data automation- individual spindle monitoring in spinning mills. This lays out one of the success mantras of spinning mills in the 21st century.
Data Automation And Digitization
Today, however, it is not a matter of narrow interpretation of payback economics but a necessity for survival. New spinning mills are looking for integrated data automation and monitoring solutions across the production chain. Individual spindle monitoring system with associated features is one of them which has become compulsory now.
The following suppliers are available in market
- Rieter ( Inbuilt ) and
- Many others in their respective countries.
It is not possible to define and explain all the systems in this paper but some of the features of above systems are discussed below to understand that what help it can give to front-line supervisors and management to make them more effective in performing their duties and control the process effectively.
- Monitoring Production data – kilos produced efficiency, analysis of losses, actual drafting etc.
- Monitoring Power data – monitoring at individual process/machine and H-plants, compressors and lighting etc
- Ring frame end breakage, waste, defective spindles in terms of rogue and slow speeds, workers efficiency in terms of patrolling and piecing broken ends, repeated breaks .cop content etc
- Relative humidity and temperature of individual machines can be monitored
Additional Features Available Along With Core Module( Optional Add-on)
- Suction motor control – suction motor is slowed to save power if end breakage rate goes down on any machine, thus saving in power consumption
- Air pressure of ring frame or any machine can be monitored – use full where this is very important and critical for example – drafting pressure
- Bike for operators as long machines require a lot of movement around the machines and nowadays a number of spindles are assigned to the operators due to less and fewer breaks and better machines. Bike stops automatically wherever there is a break. It has equipped with waste box, music system and displays to guide to the operator to go the machine where the situation requires attention i.e. with more breaks.
Advantages Of Individual Spindle Monitoring
- Productivity increases without increasing speeds due to better efficiency.
- Manpower can reduce.
- Live status of end breakage rate to maintenance and supervisors.
- Defective spindles are reduced and hence improvement in Quality.
- Less fatigue to supervisors.
- Wastages can be reduced.
- By monitoring trend of end breakage rate one can optimise the ring traveler replacement schedule.
- Slow speed spindles are eliminated – better quality and less dyeing problems.
- Analysis of production data to identify stoppage reasons which are actual.
- Less disputed between maintenance – production – quality control due to better communication.
- Reduction in manpower – for data capturing and feeding in the systems such as sap etc.
- Fewer grievances in the workers and better communication round the clock.
Data Display And Availability Of Data
- Data can be displayed inside the department.
- Data can be seen on any laptop.
- Data can be shared on mobile phones.
- Data can see on Tablets with Wi-Fi.
- Massage alerts shift wise.
- Relative humidity and temperature alert.
- Auto-generated e-mails – daily reports.
The above system, in long run, will definitely create a culture of self–supervision in the mill. This will result in the less managerial staff. Besides, management has more time to do meaningful work of improving productivity and quality with reduced or no mistakes. This will also result in better communication and lesser disputes within management due to required data availability.